||Colonial Christmas - Song List & Credits
1. The Merry Wassail Traditional / Playford
2. Drive the Cold Winter Away Traditional / Playford
3. The Sussex Carol Traditional English
4. Milford Joseph Stephenson (c. 17281810)
5. Christ Child Lullaby Traditional Hebrides
6. Christmas (Munson)
7. New Year’s Eve Traditional / Playford
8. Höken Traditional Swedish
9. Cold and Raw Traditional / Playford
10. Nos Galan (Deck the Hall) Traditional Welsh
11. Sherburne Daniel Read (17571836).
12. Ding Dong Merrily on High Traditional French (sixteenth-century melody)
13. The Wexford Carol Traditional Irish (twelfth-century melody)
14. Christmas (Urania) Lyon’s Urania (Philadelphia, 1761)
15. Judea (A Virgin Unspotted) William Billings, The Singing Master’s Assistant (Boston, 1778)
16. Shiloh William Billings, The Suffolk Harmony (Boston, 1786).
17. Lo, How a Rose E’er Blooming Traditional German (fifteenth-century melody)
|Recorded and mixed at Barry’s Cave, Bear Creek Recording Studio,
and the University of California, Santa Cruz, California
Produced and engineered by Barry Phillips
Engineer: Dylan Fowler at Stiwdio Felin Fach, Cymru, UK
Engineer: Dave Gray at The Sound Café, Edinburgh, Scotland
Mastered by Rainer Gembalczyk at Sienna Digital, Menlo Park, California
All arrangements by Barry Phillips
Executive producer: Neal Hellman
Graphic design: Shiloh Hellman & Neal Hellman
Liner notes: Neal Hellman & Barry Phillips
Liner notes editor: Patricia Zylius
Published by Gourd Music (BMI) and Koustic Music (BMI)
Cover painting: Detail from A Musical Gathering (artist unknown) painted in the early eighteenth century, Courtesy of the Nassau County (N.Y.) Division of Museum Services
Nathan, Hans, ed., Richard Crawford, editorial consultant, The Complete Works of William Billings, the American Musicological Society and the Colonial Society of Massachusetts, 1977.
Willard, Karen E., An American Christmas Harp, Puyallup, WA, 1994.
The Sacred Harp, Sacred Harp Publishing Company, Bremen, GA, 1991.
Barlow, Jeremy, ed., The Complete Country Dance Tunes from Playford’s Dancing Master, Faber Music, London, 1985.
Jones, Edward, Musical and Poetical Relicks of the Welsh Bards, London, 1784 (1st ed.) and 1794 (2nd ed.).
Lambert, Barbara, ed., Music in Colonial Massachusetts, Vol. 2, the Colonial Society of Massachusetts, Boston, 1985.
Thanks to all the incredible musicians who played so wonderfully: Shelley Phillips, Jesse Autumn, Lars Johannesson, Deby Benton Grosjean, Linda Burman-Hall, Neal Hellman, Robin Petrie, Christa Stiner; and the
out-of-towners: Olov Johansson (Sweden), Sarah-Jane Summers (Scotland), and Robert Evans (Wales).
Thanks to Dave Morrison at the University of California, Santa Cruz, for making the university session possible.
Many thanks to our historical friends: Gary Hammond, Ken Bloom, Joanna B. Craig, Phyllis Braff, Barbara Lambert, and the Colonial Society of Massachusetts.
Ultra special thanks to Shelley for helping me every step of the way on this and every project, and to Neal Hellman for making this project happen in the first place.